Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Some other blogs around here

There are a lot of history blogs out there... which, I know, I've said before. What's so interesting to me is how differently all these other bloggers approach discussing history. In looking around, I've found a few that take a very academic bent; the American Historical Society being the clearest one there. I enjoy reading this blog because even though they could potentially sound esoteric or unaccessible, they somehow manage to avoid both of those things and instead just give a real impression of credibility and knowledge. Maybe this is my inner student coming out, but I always feel just a little smarter after I've read a post. :-) Rod Adam's Atomic Insights blog is another pretty academic one, but sometimes with him I feel a bit lost. That academic voice is a tough line to walk between clarity and authority.
Then there are the blogs that take a more personal approach. One of the blogs I follow on Abraham Lincoln falls into this category, with a voice so casual you almost feel that the poster, brdirck, has had face-to-face conversations with the man. The interesting part there, I guess, is that the author is a professor of history. Talk about academic.
The last type of blog I've found (if we're talking in terms of categories) is the type without a single poster, but more where the blog serves as a forum for posting articles, paper abstracts etc and opening them up for peer review. Religion in American History is one such blog, where people who really study this stuff, or people who are really curious can post their information and have it commented on by a like-minded community. I personally like getting to know one author, but an occasional guest poster is a nice way to shake things up. Maybe I'll have a friend write something for me someday. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment