Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fun new sources!

My recent blossoming love affair with internet technology has led me to absolutely ransack the online resources available through my university. And I have found some truly cool stuff, along with some truly cool Web 2.0 applications to make the whole thing work! 
I found these through the library, I bookmarked them using Diigo, and then I saved and annotated my bookmarks through Zotero, a website I (can't believe I'm admitting this) have become addicted to. Take a look at the sources, and happy hunting yourself! 

Atomic Power Leads

 This source is a primary source, a science newsletter from December 1945. The title “Atomic Power Leads” refers to the fact that atomic power was the single most important scientific advance of the year 1945; not only a scientific but a political and social advance as well, with the power to shorten or even prevent future war. Also, the authors mention that earlier issues of the newsletter would have to be amended and expanded because of some pertinent atomic information that had recently been released or declassified. Useful to establish the multidimensional nature of atomic power… it’s almost treated as a deitical panacea here. It’s like a miracle.

Triangular Mutual Security-

not primary, a fundamentally academic document detailing through the study of the triangular nature of the Cuban Missile Crisis the potential dangers and harms of a bipolar post-Cold War system. They’re trying to show the need for a triangular system where each party has a check and balance as well as a possible ally, so that each alliance undergoes some kind of scrutiny. Relates to atomic power in that the atom bomb is the foundation of the arms race that produced the cold war and the missile crisis, the atom bomb is what created the american superpower at all. Fear of losing that power and uniqueness is what drove the arms race. 



No comments:

Post a Comment